Divorce Contact Our Family Law Specialist For a Consultation at 541-312-5150

Divorce Lawyer in Bend, Oregon

Delivering Compassionate Guidance Throughout Your Divorce

If you are going through or considering filing for a dissolution of marriage in Deschutes County, reach out to Ward Grover. Our attorneys have over 80 years of combined experience and can provide the thoughtful and insightful advice you need to pursue the best outcome of your divorce. Delivering client-focused representation, we listen to your goals and concerns in order to tailor our approach to your needs. When you choose our firm to represent you, we will review your options and help you make informed decisions about how to move forward with your case. We will stand with you at every stage, working hard toward a favorable outcome for you and your family.

Schedule a consultation with an experienced divorce attorney in Bend, OR. Call us at (541) 312-5150 or submit an online contact form today.

Get Clear Guidance & Answers to Your Divorce Questions

Why Hire a Divorce Lawyer?

Divorce can be an emotional and complicated experience. You and your spouse face significant changes as you make various decisions that will affect your future. Issues that must be resolved include those involving child custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support, and property/asset or debt division. Settling these matters can be contentious, so it is important to have a family law attorney guide you through the process. Even if you and your spouse or partner agree on all or most of the issues, having quality legal counsel can ensure that your rights are protected and that the resolutions are fair and equitable for both parties. It can also ensure that the required documents are prepared with the detail and accuracy you need.

What is Required to File for Divorce in Oregon?

Divorce, also called a dissolution, legally ends a marriage or registered domestic partnership. To file for divorce, you or your spouse/partner must submit a petition to a court in the county where you or your spouse/partner live. In many cases, you or your spouse/partner must have been an Oregon resident for at least 6 months before filing.

Because Oregon is a no-fault divorce state, you do not have to have a specific reason for ending your marriage or domestic partnership. You can state on your forms that you are seeking a dissolution because of irreconcilable differences. Irreconcilable differences means that the marriage or partnership has broken down, and reconciliation is not possible.

How Long Does Divorce Take in Oregon?

Generally, it takes a few months to a year to dissolve a marriage or domestic partnership. The length of time for yours will depend on several factors. Whether you and your spouse/partner agree on the terms of your dissolution or a judge decides your case, once everything is settled, a judge will sign a judgment of dissolution finalizing your divorce.

The document contains final orders on:

  • Custody,
  • Parenting time,
  • Child support,
  • Asset and debt division, and
  • Spousal support.

The judgment of dissolution is also the form officially stating that your marriage or partnership is ended.

Our divorce attorney in Bend, Oregon, can provide advice and counsel through all stages of your dissolution. We can review your situation to ensure that you meet residency requirements and help settle critical issues. Our team is prepared to protect your best interests.

What’s the Difference Between Divorce and Legal Separation?

Divorce and legal separation are similar in that matters such as property division, spousal support, and child custody are decided. The main difference between the two is that a divorce legally ends a marriage, whereas a legal separation does not.

If you and your spouse get a legal separation, you are still married. You cannot remarry if you are legally separated. Later, you can change your legal separation to a divorce.

How Are Assets Divided in a Divorce?

As part of your divorce, your and your spouse’s/partner’s qualifying assets, debts, pensions, and retirement accounts will be divided. If you and your spouse/partner cannot agree on how to split property and debts, a judge will do so equitably. That means the judge will divide your belongings in a way that is fair, not necessarily 50/50.

Property division can get complicated in high-value divorces. These are cases involving large marital estates, multiple investment accounts, and business interests. Our Bend divorce lawyer handles business evaluations for divorces, identifying and assessing marital assets by considering relevant aspects of a business’s value.

One significant but often overlooked factor about property division and divorce is that concerning the distribution of retirement accounts. If contributions were made during the marriage, the account could be split between the spouses. Retirement administrators, such as PERS, must receive a special order signed by a judge, called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), before adding a former spouse as an alternate payee.

Property and debt division are extremely complex aspects of divorce. Our team will review all relevant financial documents and assets/debt disclosures to seek fair distributions of assets.

Can I Get Spousal Support?

Spousal support is a payment one spouse or partner makes to the other to help sustain their standard of living following a divorce. The court does not automatically grant it; you must request it. A judge will review your situation to determine whether you should receive an award.

Some of the factors considered include:

  • Each party’s financial situation,
  • The length of marriage, and
  • Each party’s work experience.

In Oregon, three types of spousal support can be ordered.

They include:

  • Transitional,
  • Compensatory, and
  • Spousal maintenance.

If you are awarded spousal support and your or your spouse’s/partner’s circumstances substantially change, the award may be modified.

Schedule a Consultation Today

Our divorce attorney at Ward Grover can help you navigate the complicated legal system. We explain your rights, offer objective advice, and assist with preparing for court hearings.

To discuss your case with a divorce attorney in Bend, please contact us today.

Request a Consultation Today

Our Divorce Lawyer is Here to Help You
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.