Bend Identity Theft Lawyer
Fighting Identity Theft Charges in Oregon
Identity theft is a pervasive and ever-evolving issue that can cause significant harm to individuals and their livelihoods. At Ward & Grover, we protect your rights and provide the legal guidance you need in identity theft cases. As the premier Bend identity theft lawyers, we are committed to helping you navigate the complexities of this crime, its penalties, and potential defenses.
Call Ward & Grover today at (541) 312-5150 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our identity theft attorney in Bend!
What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft is a serious crime that involves the unauthorized use of another person's personal information for fraudulent purposes. In Oregon, it is a criminal offense to obtain, possess, transfer, or use someone else's personal identification, financial information, or credit card without their consent with the intent to defraud or commit another crime.
Identity theft encompasses various forms, including:
- Financial Identity Theft: This occurs when someone uses another person's financial information, such as credit card details or bank account information, to make unauthorized purchases or withdrawals.
- Criminal Identity Theft: When a person assumes the identity of another to avoid arrest or legal consequences, it can result in criminal identity theft. This often involves providing false information to law enforcement.
- Identity Theft for Financial Gain: Perpetrators may steal personal information to take out loans, open new credit accounts, or engage in other fraudulent financial activities.
- Medical Identity Theft: In some cases, individuals may use another person's personal information to obtain medical services or prescription drugs, harming the victim's health and financial well-being.
What are the Penalties for Identity Theft in Oregon?
The penalties for identity theft in Oregon can be severe, as the state takes this crime seriously. The consequences of a conviction may include:
- Criminal Charges: Identity theft can lead to criminal and civil penalties. The severity of the charges and the penalties may vary depending on the circumstances.
- Criminal Record: A conviction for identity theft can result in a permanent criminal record, having far-reaching consequences, including difficulty finding employment or housing.
- Imprisonment: Convictions for identity theft may result in significant jail or prison time, depending on the level of the crime. For more serious cases, individuals may face lengthy prison sentences.
- Fines and Restitution: In addition to jail time, individuals convicted of identity theft may be required to pay fines to the court. Furthermore, they may also be ordered to provide restitution to the victims to compensate for the financial losses they incurred.
- Civil Lawsuits: Victims of identity theft can file civil lawsuits to recover damages resulting from the crime. This can add additional financial burdens for the accused.
Defenses Against Identity Theft Charges
If you face identity theft charges in Oregon, exploring potential defenses to protect your rights and potentially avoid or mitigate the penalties is essential. Some common defenses include:
- Lack of Intent: The prosecution must prove that you intended to defraud or commit a crime using another person's personal information. If there was no criminal intent, this can be a valid defense.
- Mistaken Identity: It may be possible to argue that you were mistakenly identified as the perpetrator of the identity theft.
- Consent: If you had permission to use the personal information in question, this could be a strong defense against identity theft charges.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence can be a successful defense strategy. The charges may be dropped or reduced if they cannot establish a strong case.
- Violation of Rights: If law enforcement obtained evidence against you through unlawful means, it may be possible to have that evidence suppressed, potentially leading to the dismissal of charges.
At Ward & Grover, we understand the complexities of identity theft cases, and we will work tirelessly to evaluate the specific circumstances of your case and build a robust defense strategy tailored to your situation.
Contact Our Bend Identity Theft Attorney Today
Identity theft is a serious criminal offense in Oregon with severe penalties, including imprisonment, fines, and a permanent criminal record. If you are facing identity theft charges, seeking legal representation from experienced attorneys who understand the intricacies of these cases is crucial. At Ward & Grover, our team of dedicated Bend identity theft lawyers is here to help you navigate the legal process, protect your rights, and provide you with a strong defense.
Contact Ward & Grover today to schedule a consultation with our identity theft lawyer in Bend!
Known in the Community as a Trusted Law Firm
We Provide Personal Attention to Every Client
We Handle Cases at Both State and Federal Levels
Our Team Consists of Criminal Defense Specialists
Our Firm Is Focused on Criminal Defense
We Have over 50 Years of Combined Experience
Assault and Harassment Case Dismissed
Assault II x2 (Measure 11); Assault III, Reckless Endangerment x3. Not Guilty Jury Verdict
Assault IV Not Guilty Jury Verdict
Att. Rape I, Sex Abuse I (Measure 11), Sex Abuse III, Assault IV x 2 Not Guilty Jury Verdict
Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants and Reckless Driving Not Guilty Jury Verdict
DUI, Reckless Driving, Reckless Endangerment Full Jury Acquittal DUI
Menacing Not Guilty Jury Verdict
Menacing, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, Reckless Endangerment Not Guilty Jury Verdict
Parole and Probation Hearing Sex Offender Registration Relief
Private Indecency, Criminal Mistreatment I x2 (felony) Not Guilty Verdict